Google will start rolling out its much awaited OS , the Android 7.0 Nougat today. The new OS will be rolled out as an over the air update to everyone using the Nexus 5X, Nexus 6 and Nexus 6P smartphones. The update will also be available for Nexus 9 and Pixel C tablets as well as Nexus set-top boxes and Android One 4G smartphones. Google had the tradition of rolling out their new OS along with a new Nexus device but this year they seemed to have broken their tradition with Android Nougat.
New features in Android Nougat
Android Nougat comes with tons of new features. Some of the most notable features are listed below:
- Improved Battery Life and Data Saver: The Doze feature that was introduced in Android 6.0 which reduces the systems CPU and Network activities is improved in Android 7.0 Nougat. When the device is not charging and the screen is off Doz reduces the Network and CPU activities to certain apps, improving battery life.
- Better Performance: Thanks to the introduction of JIT(Just In Time) compiler with code profiling to ART(Android Run Time), it constantly improves the performance of the apps as it runs. It also speeds up app updates and system updates and save storage.
- Multi-Window : Now you will be able to use two apps side by side one above the other. This feature has been available from a long time on Samsung Note devices and other devices using third party apps. Now this feature will be available for all devices running Android Nougat. Also android TV devices will get a feature called picture-in-picture mode which allows an app to open over an other app like a small window and still allow the user to interact with the main app below.
- Improved Notifications : Now you can get notifications in bundles. Similar notifications are grouped together and you can even reply to a notification from the notification panel, like fore example you can reply to a Hangouts message directly from the notification interface.
- Android for Work: The new Android for Work feature adds many new features and enhancements to Android Nougat , notable among them is the ability to turn off notifications from work apps.
- Number Blocking and Call screening: Google has introduced the Number Blocking facility as a standard feature in Android 7.0 . This feature can block any black listed number. Both calls and SMS is blocked and the block number list is made available for multiple apps to use. The other feature introduced is call screening. This feature is added to the default call apps. Activating this feature will allow the screening of incoming calls. Depending on the setting, the calls are rejected automatically and it will not even show up in the call log.
- Emoji: Android 7.0 comes with 72 new emojis . The new human emojis are gender neutral and supports the modification of skin tones.
The new android Nougat comes with loads other features like security and privacy improvements and also UI improvements. Unfortunately, other devices will have before they can get the new Android Nougat update. At this point we are not certain which other phones will get the update but the new Moto Phones Moto G( 3rd Gen) and above are most likely to get the update.